Fitness didn’t just get Katie in shape. It changed her life. From a life of substance abuse and bad decisions, she embraced fitness and came to a place of health and happiness. She now says, “working out saved my life!”
3 years ago, I was addicted to pain killers and alcohol. I was living in an abusive relationship. I weighed 200 lbs. I hit rock bottom and I couldn’t live the way I was living anymore. I was tired, sluggish, and overweight. I was working as a registered nurse in critical care. It was a very stressful job on top of my crazy home life. I was never sleeping enough. I hated the reflection I saw in the mirror. I would starve myself for days and then binge eat every evening. I couldn’t stop. Any time I felt pain or stress, I would eat, use, or drink. I pretended I was happy on the outside- always laughing and joking… but inside, I HATED myself.
I finally went into rehab when I just couldn’t take it anymore. My job and family was on the line. I found that working out helped me ease my stress and feel good about myself. I dedicated myself to getting fitter and stronger. And slowly, I got better. I worked hard on my body, my mind, and my spirit. I trained hard and I began to thrive in all aspects of my life.
Now three years later, I am just over 21 months sober! Lifting weights and working out literally saved my life! I gained happiness, confidence, and self-love. It was not easy, but it was worth it! Eventually, I learned to love myself. I still struggle, but I know I can get through anything. I have done it before and I will continue to do it. I just finished my first figure competition after losing nearly 40lbs! I can’t wait to do it again. I am planning on competing in my next show on May 21st. I am now working as personal trainer in addition to my nursing job. I want to help other people do what I did and become their own transformation story. It is possible! I am so grateful for my new life in sobriety!
My typical meal plan:
- Meal 1- Overnight Oats
- Meal 2-2 eggs and egg white/veggie omelette
- Meal 3- Salad with protein, veggies, and quinoa/squash
- Meal 4-Green Smoothie (spinach, berries, almond milk, hemp/chia seeds)
- Meal 5-Turkey meatballs and cooked veggies
- Meal 6 (post-workout)- Protein shake (vega, strawberries, almond milk)
My typical workouts:
- Monday-Conditioning –Kettlebell circuit workout or bodyweight tabata style workout
- Tuesday-Legs and Glutes Day 2 (quad dominant-heavy squats, leg extension/leg curls, leg press)
- Wednesday-Conditioning and Chest/Tris/Abs
- Thursday-Legs and Glutes Day 3 (hamstrings dominant-light glute bridges, hip abduction, lunges, step-ups)
- Friday-OFF and/or AM Cardio (fasted)
- Saturday- Back/Bis/Delts and HIIT
- Sunday-Legs Day 1 (heavy deadlifts and hip thrusts, glute cable kickbacks)
Example of Conditioning Day:
(30-45 sec Work/15-30 sec Rest x4-5 Rounds)
- Jump Squats
- Renegade Rows
- Ball Slams
- Mountain Climbers
If you’re as inspired by Katie’s story as we are, be sure to follow her on social media!
Do you have a transformation story to share with the FitFluential community? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the chance to be featured.