Sponsored by NOW Foods, helping you #NOWGetFit.
Memorial Day marks the kick off to summer entertaining, so make it all about healthier, real foods that are packed with nutrition and flavor. We’ve got some crowd-pleasing inspiration for you, straight from Chef Suzy Singh and the NOW® Culinary Innovation Center.
Sweet and fruity, sangria is a much-loved drink in our house. We like to make a big batch and serve it at summer parties, and it helps that the fruit-filled pitcher is just pretty to look at. But now we’re giving it star power with pomegranate juice, Organic Mangosteen Juice, cinnamon and tea, thanks to NOW. Sans alcohol, this sangria is perfect for everyone to enjoy. Fill a pitcher and start pouring!
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 NOW Real Tea® Heavenly Hibiscus™ tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Star Anise pod
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 5 drops BetterStevia™ Pomegranate Blueberry Liquid
- ¼ cup NOW® Organic Mangosteen Juice
- 2 oranges, sliced into 10 rounds
- 6 strawberries, chopped
- 2 limes, sliced into 10 rounds
- 4 cups carbonated water
- In a large saucepan with 3 cups of boiling water, steep Heavenly Hibiscus tea bags, cinnamon stick, and Star Anise for 5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and discard the tea bags, cinnamon stick, and star anise.
- In a large pitcher, combine hibiscus liquid with pomegranate juice, orange juice, BetterStevia® liquid, Mangoni juice, and fruit, and store overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prior to serving, stir in carbonated water and enjoy!
Sure, you could have regular tortilla chips and salsa. You could also have a day’s worth of fat and calories in just a few handfuls. These kale chips don’t compromise on flavor – the twist of lime pairs perfectly with Sriracha Aioli – but remain low in calories, low in carbs, and loaded up with green goodness.
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ½ lime, zested
- 2 tsp. Ellyndale Organics™ Sunflower Oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Combine kale, lime zest, sunflower oil, and salt.
- Place seasoned kale onto prepared baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 7 to10 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce! (Sriracha Vegan Aioli)
You won’t even miss the meat with this slider recipe. These vegetarian sliders are full of fresh veggies, ancient grains and power seeds, and topped with a creamy avocado dressing for a boost of healthy fats. Gluten-free and full of fiber, enjoy these little sliders at a cookout or party, or any day for a delicious dinner.
- 6 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. NOW Real Food® Organic Milled Black Chia Seed
- 1 ½ cups Living Now® Tri-Color Quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup acorn squash, steamed
- ½ cup onion, minced
- ½ cup Living Now® Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Ellyndale Naturals™ Rice Bran Oil
- In a small bowl, combine water with Milled Chia Seed until paste has formed and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cooked Tri-Color Quinoa, squash, onion, Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour, serrano pepper, tarragon, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp. rice bran oil.
- Add chia mixture until fully incorporated.
- Oil hands with ½ tbsp. of rice bran oil, and form slider mixture into ¼ cup patties.
- In a large sauté pan, place remaining ½ tbsp. rice bran oil over medium heat.
- Sauté quinoa sliders for 4 minutes, until browned.
- Flip quinoa sliders and sauté on side 2, for 3 minutes.
- Serve warm on mini pretzel buns with fresh spinach and Avocado Puree (recipe follows).
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. NOW Real Food® Light Agave Nectar
- 3 tbsp. water
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Pulse for 1 minute or until you have a creamy consistency.
- Serve cold and enjoy!