Tom Terwilliger is equal parts athlete, entrepreneur, and motivator. He got interested in fitness as early as when he was eight years old. He took up martial arts classes and became one of Bruce Lee’s first American fans. In his early teens, he had what you call the “Bruce Lee” physique: He was skinny but quite lean.
He sought inspiration from the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and ended up falling in love with lifting weights and challenging his body’s limits with them. He went on to win Mr. America, and his career only got better as he would live the rest of his life motivating people to become better versions of themselves no matter how old they are.
Today, Tom talks about how he got himself motivated to be fit, what makes a good mindset, his concept of “body rapport,” and why he says you can still look your best in your 50s and beyond.
“Once you fall in love with fitness, its effects, and how it makes you feel you never really lose it.” Tom Terwilliger'Once you fall in love with fitness..you never really lose it.' @tomterwilligerClick To Tweet
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why is pain a better motivator than pleasure?
- The motivation for people in their 40s and 50s is different from the motivation of younger people.
- How can people in corporate America, particularly those in their late years, get fit?
- What is “body rapport”?
- The resistance he gets when he teaches people how important fitness is, and why it’s not just about aesthetics.
- Why Tom says he looks his best at 55.
- Why most think getting fit is like going to another planet.
- You are going to age, and you are going to progress in life anyway. Why not choose to empower yourself?
- Find your compelling why, attach that to being fit.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Max Mind, Lean Body, free Age Reversing Strategy eBook
Connect with Tom:
- Tom Terwilliger official website
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.