When trying to live a healthy life, a negative mindset can be a BIG problem.
Did you know that we, as humans, have between 15,000-60,000 thoughts per day and over 95% of those are repeated from the day prior? We are creators of habit, that’s for sure. But here is the thing, over half of those thoughts are typically negative thoughts about ourselves and this can be detrimental to reaching our health goals.
Your body could be holding on to unwanted fat BECAUSE OF YOUR MINDSET AND NEGATIVE SELF TALK. This is a very common problem that we often don’t realize.
Mindset is so important when reaching our health and fitness goals.
Mindset is the catalyst for success or failure….especially when it comes to staying committed, consistent and believing in a process, or even believing in ourselves.
Mindset, in short, is a set of beliefs or thoughts that can, in total, be summarized by saying the following about ourselves: “I can do this” or “I can’t do this.” It is your belief set about yourself and it’s what helps you or hinders you. This could be how you view your intelligence all the way to how you view and what you believe about your body.
When we focus on the negative we will struggle. It’s the “garbage in, garbage out” concept. What we put in our mind has the ability to impact how we live and the kind of results we achieve or fall short on. This is why it’s so important to have positive voices in our lives….to help us fill up on good and affirming things that will be a catalyst for a “can do” attitude.
One of the biggest things in your health and fitness journey, whether you are trying to lose weight or not, is shifting your mindset. We can’t change our outside without changing our inside (aka our mind). And one of the first things in changing our mindset is stopping the negative self talk. We ALL struggle with negative self talk to one degree or another.
Language is a powerful thing, and it’s not just the words we say out loud – it is the words and comments that run through our brain.
So picture this…
You wake up in the morning and look in the mirror. You don’t like what you see. You cringe. You think to yourself that you look fat. That you wish your thighs were smaller, you stomach was flatter and the list goes on and on.
This happens EVERY SINGLE MORNING… ALL OVER THE WORLD. And it is so sad, friends. Let me ask you this… would you call your friends fat? Or would you say those things to your friends? NO! We would NEVER say those things to our friends, so why do we say them to ourselves?
But what I want you all to know, is that you are NOT ALONE. This is a very common thing I find with 99% of my clients – and to be honest, I personally struggle with this day in and day out (even as a personal trainer with a background in mental health). It is a daily choice I make to speak life about myself to myself! So please know that you are not alone on this journey. If you ever need support, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Today, I want to give you some tools that will help you conquer your negative mindset and negative self talk on your journey to health.
Here are five mental strategies to help you get closer to your health goals.
- Start thinking and visualizing yourself how you want to be. Every single day, wake up and visualize yourself at the finish line. Do you want to be thin? Do you want more energy and to be running around with your kids? What is it that you want to feel at the finish line? Think on that. Visualize that.
- Set SMALL goals around your health journey. When you start with small goals, you are way more likely to succeed. And when you do, you need to celebrate those milestones! This could be as little as taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work, eating more veggies each day, or limiting the alcohol or sweets to the weekends! Each small win is still a win!
- Reward yourself with tangible things that are NOT food for reaching your small goals! Again, celebrate those wins! But do not reward yourself with food. Try getting a manicure or massage. Or plan a shopping trip! Celebrate that win!
- Make a detailed health plan that you have written out. I’m sure you have heard the saying “fail to plan, plan to fail”; this could not be more true. Having a visual plan each day makes it easier to follow through with those action steps. (looking for a plan? Check out Think Fit Method™)
- Get support. I cannot emphasize this enough… get a support system in place. Find a buddy or a personal trainer. Someone that knows the downfalls of a negative mindset. Someone who understands the struggle and can give you tips and tools to push through. (Need support? Please contact me here and let’s set up a free consultation.)
If you find yourself struggling with the negative mindset, negative self talk and/or emotional eating when it comes to your health and wellness goals, I would love to offer you my free mini eBook “Why Your Own Mind is Making You Fat”. In this free download, I will dive more into why mindset matters as well as more TIPS to overcome a negative mindset and some tips on overcoming emotional eating. Please download here.