Dr. Glenn Livingston is a veteran psychologist and author of the book Never Binge Again, a short yet comprehensive guide to controlling emotional eating and food obsession as well as knowing how to achieve your fitness goals. Having been a binge eater before, he relates his own story regarding the vicious emotional cycle of feast and famine and explains how he eventually found the road to recovery. His main drive behind the book was his severe dissatisfaction with what traditional psychology had to offer regarding obesity and emotional eating.
Dr. Glenn Livingston joins me today to share his wisdom and expertise regarding emotional eating, to whom and how it happens, and the steps to recovery. He discusses how the media and the giant food industries are heavily invested in making you eat all the time and how they use psychology to trick people. He also explores the concept of self-flagellation and shame after a binge eating as well as how to forgive yourself.
“When you commit, you have to commit with perfection. If you make a mistake, you have to forgive yourself with dignity.” – Dr. Glenn Livingston
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What led Dr. Glenn to start addressing emotional eating and binge eating?
- His opinions on the food industry and why they’re out to promote unhealthy eating.
- What prompts our brain to make us feel bad after a binge?
- His story as a binge eater and how he recovered.
- Foods that get people starting off on a binge.
- The kind of people who often fall victim to binge eating.
- How he helps binge eaters recover.
- The feast and famine cycle and the highs associated with them.
- A lot of us eat for comfort. Binge eaters eat to get high with food.
- Big companies spend billions of dollars to produce and advertise food that finds our bliss point and makes you eat what’s not healthy for you.
- If it was as simple as just exercise and eat appropriately, we’d all be fit.
- Virtually everybody experiences periods where they eat beyond personal intent.
- The solution for binge eating is not a week of juice fasting, but regular, sustained reasonable nutrition day in and day out for months.
Connect with Dr. Glenn Livingston:
Optimize Your Hormones!
Are you ready to get fit, feel better and have more energy than ever before? Then take the first step in your fitness journey with Fitfluential’s new partner, BodHD!
Head over to www.fitfluential.bodhd.com, click on “Member Benefits,” then BodMD Member Pricing, then “Female Hormone Optimization” or “Male Testosterone Optimization.” Watch the short video and sign up to get your bloodwork done. You’ll be on your way to getting a customized bio-identical hormone replacement treatment delivered to your home!
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.