The following is a guest post from Dr. Charles Nguyen, Dr. Tu Song Anh Nguyen and health journalist Mary Ann Marshall
authors of the forthcoming book The Thinsulin Program: The Breakthrough Solution To Help You Lose Weight And Say Thin (Da Capo, February 9. 2016) which reveals the real secret to healthy and sustainable weight loss: a focus on insulin not calories.
- Boil hot water
- Boil or poach the wings and drumettes for 5 minutes to release excess oil from skin
- Take the wings and air dry for 10 minutes
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Lay wings and drumettes on baking sheet
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown, then flip
- Bake for another 20 minutes until other side is golden brown
- Drizzle hot sauce over wings or serve the hot sauce on the side
Ten Minute Chili
- In a saucepan, add 1 pound of ground turkey, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp ground cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When meat is cooked, add 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of chopped green bell peppers, 1 cup of chopped onions.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut kale leaves from stems and tear them into bite size pieces
- Wash and thoroughly dry kale with salad spinner
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until edges are brown but not burnt
- Use celery, broccoli, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers
- Don’t add root vegetables such as radishes or carrots!
- Serve with a healthy dip of yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and spices such as curry or dill on the side
No Super Bowl party is complete without a tasty beverage in hand. Keep the healthy vibes going and sip with caution. Of course, water is always the recommended choice. But if you do choose to imbibe, go for red wine or hard liquor (sans mixers). Beer is comparable to eating bread and mixers (like soda or juice) are high in sugar and calories.
Charles Nguyen, M.D., is the medical director of the Lorphen Medical Weight Loss Clinic in Riverside, CA. Charles earned his M.D. from the University of California at Irvine, where he completed his psychiatry residency training and, as a faculty member, won excellence in teaching awards for seven consecutive years. He also won the Thomas F. Riley Community Service Award, the NAMI Bridge Builder Award, and the 2010 Orange County Physicians of Excellence Award. The same year, Orange Coast Magazine recognized him as best physician.
Tu Song-Anh Nguyen, M.D., is the medical director of N.N. Medical in Orange County, CA, which provides medical management of weight loss with an emphasis on behavior modification. Tu graduated with top honors from the University of California at Riverside and from Loma Linda Medical School. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at U.C.L.A./VA Wadsworth, received the diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine in 1995, and has practiced in the field of bariatric medicine ever since.
Editor and magazine journalist Mary Ann Marshall was a former staff writer and fiction editor at Sassy Magazine and penned the book Now Hiring: Music (Crestwood House). As a cover story writer and features reporter for Glamour, she covered investigative health and social issues, and interviewed celebrities including Halle Berry, Ashley Judd, Britney Spears and Faith Hill. She has contributed to numerous magazines including Cosmopolitan, Spin, Seventeen, and Health. She lives in the Greater Los Angeles area.