Runners: They’re just like us!
In fact, runners are all around us. Because running is one of the easiest, most accessible workouts available – and the benefits of running are pretty sweet, too!
It’s more than just physical. Running can also benefit your mental health and wellbeing, making it a double whammy when it comes to wellness. Of course, the avid runners we all know can tell us about that. You’ve probably heard them describe the benefits of running in their own way, convincing you that maybe it’s time to lace up those running shoes and hit the pavement yourself.
So if you haven’t started running yet, we’re hoping these benefits of running will convince you. All it takes is a good pair of running shoes, the open road, and you’re good to go!
5 Benefits of Running
- Running can help you lose weight. No brainer here, as so many people cite running as how they dropped the pounds. The reason it works so well is because per minute, running burns more calories than most other exercises! Running at a 10-minute mile pace burns about 557 calories per hour – almost 10 calories a minute!
- Running relieves stress. Burn calories and burn off stress with this two-in-one workout. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America states that “scientists have found that regular participation in aerobic exercise has been shown to decrease overall levels of tension, elevate and stabilize mood, improve sleep, and improve self-esteem.”
- Running may prevent disease. Studies have shown that running is extremely beneficial for long-term health, especially in women. According to one study, running can even prevent the development of breast cancer in women, reduce the risk and other factors.
- Running makes you more productive. Want to be more focused and get more done? Start running. People who run before going to work are more likely to be productive and be in a better mood.
- Running helps you sleep better. It’s a common issue to have trouble falling asleep at night. Tossing and turning can be greatly reduced by adding running to your daily routine, according to researchers. People report better quality of sleep and less time lying awake when they ran that day.
Are you convinced yet? For all your running needs, we’re proud to partner with Mizuno. They’ve proven themselves to be at the forefront of the race (running pun intended), and they have quite the collection of running shoes and apparel to make you look good and perform even better while running. In fact, the new Wave Rider 21 was designed with beginner runner in mind – perfect for training for that first 5k or 5th ½ marathon!
To get started, Beginner’s Couch to 5K Training Plan!