Pack your bags, get your car in gear, shuttle your way over to the airport. Whatever your method of travel, one thing is for certain- you have to plan ahead.
The same goes for nutrition, especially when you’re traveling. It can be difficult to find healthy food while on the road (or in the air). Generally, it’s easy to reach for pre-packaged, chemically preserved snacks simply because they are convenient. And… it pains me to admit, but fast food is a travel staple. These are facts.
As we get older and wiser and healthy food becomes more readily accessible, it’s time to ditch the old travel habits and stick to our goals. There are people out there who want to help you eat healthy, and these travel nutrition tips are made possible by Sonesta Hotels. Their restaurants feature fresh, seasonal cuisine and lighter options that you can enjoy during your stay. With these kinds of offerings and a little bit of planning on your part, eating healthy on the road is totally possible!
Stay prepared with these top 10 travel nutrition tips, and you’ll find it much easier to keep your nutrition in check even when your normal routine is totally thrown off. Don’t get caught by surprise – get caught prepared for anything!
Travel Nutrition Tips:
- Pack non-perishable snacks that you can easily transport: nuts, dried fruit, jerky, etc.
- Scope out menus from the restaurants around your destination. The Sonesta Hotel complimentary breakfast is served buffet style, so you can pick and choose healthy options.
- Ask hotel staff for recommendations. You can even call before your stay to get their advice if you know you’ll be busy while you’re there!
- Hit the grocery store instead of the drive-thru. You can get through checkout at the market just as quickly as you would at McDonald’s.
- Stock your hotel refrigerator so you have snacks on hand if you get the late-night munchies.
- If you do stop at a fast-food restaurant, browse the menu for ways to customize your meal to fit your nutritional needs, or choose healthier fast food options.
- Going through security at the airport? You can take through sealed ziploc bags of snacks from home.
- Try to stick to your normal eating routine as much as possible. When you go for long stretches of time without eating, you’re far more likely to pick up something unhealthy. Stay well fed.
- Long flight or car ride? It’s not the most exciting thing in the world, being stuck in your seat for hours on end. Do your best to gauge whether you’re actually hungry or just bored.
- Stay hydrated! I always notice that I drink much less water during travel, because taking that many bathroom trips is just embarrassing. Lose the shame and drink up.
With these travel nutrition tips, some extra planning, and a desire to succeed, you’re more than capable of sticking to your nutrition goals while traveling. Your body will thank you! And with companies like Sonesta, eating healthy is possible. With fresh, farm-to-table foods and staff that are more than willing to accommodate, there is always a way to stay healthy at a Sonesta Hotel.