Dr. Cate Shanahan is a family medicine physician, author, and sports health consultant. She currently consults for the LA Lakers and has been their official consultant for the past five years. Cate believes that the modern diet is the root cause of why the current generation is not as healthy or resistant to disease than the generations that came before it. She determined this when she studied the food culture in Hawaii, a population known to have a more exotic diet than what we have here in the U.S. She now champions what she calls the Anti-Fad diet, a diet that simply lets a person eat the way we used to before mass industrialization took over.
Today, Cate gives us her opinion on why the modern diet is causing us to get sick, why she believes in the idea of natural eating, and why she thinks sugar is only the second worst food ingredient in the world today.
“The thing that’s making us unhealthy is the modern diet.” Dr. Cate Shanahan
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Cate’s four pillars of nutrition are Fresh food (salad, sushi, etc.), fermented or sprouted food, meat on the bone, and organ/exotic meat. This is what comprises what she calls the Anti-Fad diet.
- Organ meats give us a different blend of nutrients. Just like different colored fruits and vegetables give various nutrients, so do organ meat.
- Conventional meat/dairy has different nutrient makeup than the pasture-raised/organic variety. Obviously, we get more health benefits from eating organically grown food.
- Bone broths are nutritious and great for recovery due to anti-inflammatory effects. Her caveat is it doesn’t work if your diet is loaded with vegetable oils and too much carbs.
- Vegetable oil is a dangerous food ingredient known to cause diseases and people are told that it’s okay to eat them. The main culprit is the kind of toxins produced by refining such as trans-fat.
- Vegetable oil is the number one enemy on our plate right now. Excessive carbs in the diet, such as sugar, takes a backseat.
- The average calorie recommendation is not paired with what the average American does nowadays which is very little. This explains why the average American is overweight.
- The average person gets 300 calories from sugar from beverages alone.
- Get the vegetable oils out first so you can then remove sugar easier without suffering from hunger pangs.
- Diseases now are caused by epigenetics and the modern diet.
- Enjoy the whole fat version of most foods such as nuts and coconuts. Any unrefined oil is usually a better option.
Connect with Dr. Cate Shanahan:
- Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food book by Dr. Cate Shanahan
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.