Darryl Edwards is the founder of Primal Play, a program that aims to rediscover the joy of movement through activities society usually identifies with kids. Before this, he was a working in the world of investment banking, and was extremely lucrative due to him working close to 18 hours a day every day.
It wasn’t until he was in his early 30’s when his blood tests made him realize something was wrong with what he was doing. Doctors said his issues were hereditary and they have prescription medicine for them. He didn’t like the idea of taking medicine for the rest of his life so he decided to retrace his steps and see where he went wrong. Throughout his journey, he was able to read a book by Lauren Cordain, called the Paleo Diet, which helped him get his health back and more.
Today, Darryl tells us all about his Primal Play program, the importance of movement for the human body, the benefits of going outside, and why he thinks being playful is an important part of growing up.
“Society is becoming more relaxed about living sedentary lifestyles.” Darryl Edwards
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Kids no longer play outside anymore due to fear of the outside world especially its dangers. This results to lack of physical activity as they age.
- Our environment is engineered around convenience and we’re now more inclined to get around with as little movement as possible.
- Conformity tells us to drop our playful side as we grow up. Animals don’t stop being playful even after they’re past the “kid” stage.
- Kids today have fun in their smartphones; they have fun through isolation.
- We have to incorporate some sort of playful activity in our lives regardless of age.
- Age-related disease is no longer exclusive to older adults.
- As adults, we should focus on the experience of movement. Be aware of how your body feels while you relearn the basics without getting injured.
- Just being outside boosts your immune system, strengthens your cardiovascular health, and may boost vitamin D if the sun’s out.
- Run, run and look at the environment around you. Make use of the environment as your gym.
- If you got kids, when they go playing next time, join them. You’ll have wonderful memories while also reaping the benefits of fun exercise.
- Play isn’t just about the physical manifestation. It’s also about life itself.
- The body is meant to adapt to certain ranges which makes outdoor activity healthier.
Connect with Darryl Edwards:
Mentioned in this episode
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.