Dr. Brooke Kalanick is a Naturopathic Doctor and a functional health practitioner. She says she’s a primary-care doctor with a specialty in alternative medicine. She and her co-practitioners aren’t like conventional doctors in that they treat patients based on history, diet, lifestyle, and lots of blood work. Her focus is towards helping women with hormonal issues, weight loss, and other issues most women experience on a day-to-day basis.
Today, Brooke tells us what her and her practice is all about, how they differ from conventional doctors, and her own thoughts and opinions on conventional medicine and the healthcare system.
“We mistake common for normal.” Dr. Brooke Kalanick
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Conventional medicine is often all about treating the current symptom. What they don’t do very well is taking a look at the why of a patient’s health.
- The body will downregulate anything that it makes once we give it a replacement.
- Conventional practitioners aren’t trained to work the way naturopaths do.
- Some doctors are working for insurance companies. They want to help patients but the system is broken and it doesn’t serve doctor nor the patient for them to do good medicine. It’s not the conventional practitioner that doesn’t want you healthy but just how the system works.
- We think a lot of the things that happen to our bodies is normal because it’s common, because so many people do it or suffer for it, we mistake it as something that we shouldn’t be concerned about.
- Iodine will increase autoimmune response in many people. Just because it’s good for your thyroid doesn’t mean it’s good for the whole body.
- Holistic doctors go more in depth when it comes to treating people’s illnesses.
- Nothing gets fixed without proper sleep.
- Get back to doing things that nurture your body and help you and your body work together.
- We have to think of our health insurance like we treat car insurance. You can have emergencies covered by health insurance but the small things aren’t; there must always be a certain level of maintenance.
- There’s no reason you should be miserable with your healthcare. Be your own advocate for getting proper care. Get to the root cause.
- Make smarter decisions and take things seriously, don’t have that “they will be time for me later” mindset. You’re worth the time, attention, and finances to take care of yourself now.
Connect with Dr. Brooke Kalanick:
Mentioned in this episode:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.