JJ Virgin is one of the most popular health and wellness gurus around. She’s a best-selling author and has been featured in magazines and even TV shows. Early in her career, she learned the importance of being a good marketer for her coaching business. Originally, schools taught her to eat less and exercise more for wellness, but her clients weren’t getting the results they needed this way, so she decided to learn about biochemistry. She researched how people trained in Eastern Europe and people’s diets in the 1900’s. She then applied her newfound wisdom on her training business and the rest, as they say, is history.
Today, JJ talks about sugar and how people should look at sugar and the many other foods that cause food intolerance. She’ll also tell us the importance of sleep and recovery and why a healthy lifestyle is incomplete without good sleep.
“The glycemic index has really screwed us.” JJ Virgin
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Sugar is more than your typical sweetener as it leads to a whole roster of diseases if consumption is left unchecked.
- The glycemic index is great because it started making us look at sugar but it also made us look at sugar all wrong. We have to look at food in combination and not isolation.
- Fructose is really not a good kind of sugar. It’s a disaster and is made to look like a health food.
- We were taught to eat low fat and eat 6 times a day and that we should graze but as it turns out, it was all wrong.
- You can be doing everything perfectly but if you’re screwing up your sleep, it will get in the way of you getting healthy and lean.
- Fructose makes you good at making fat. You want to be bad at making fat.
- Alternative sweeteners are okay in moderation but the goal is to remove them from your system.
- In her opinion, JJ says everyone needs to do an elimination diet. She says we should remove dairy, gluten, eggs, corn, soy, and peanut.
- Fruit’s not a sugar-free food and fat’s not the demon.
- A gluten-free cupcake is no better than an ordinary cupcake. A cupcake is a cupcake and you have to control your appetite around those types of food if you want to fix your nutrition.
- If you have to choose between an artificial sweetener and sugar, go for sugar since artificial sweeteners can have side effects worse than what sugar can do.
Connect with JJ Virgin:
Mentioned in this episode:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.