Terry Wahls is largely known for her Terry Wahls Protocol as well as her other books, seminars, and blogs. She is not shy to say that she was once dependent on conventional medicine and didn’t really consider lifestyle and dietary changes when it comes to treating patients. All that changed when she was able to reverse her Multiple Sclerosis through the use of functional medicine and she has since been one of its many advocates.
In part 2 of our episode, Terry shares with us her thoughts about the food industry, the so-called “Diet Wars”, as well as why she thinks the future of medicine will be something to look forward to.
“The structure is set up to favor corporations making industrial food that maximize profits at the expense of health.” Terry Wahls
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The industry has made certain foods addictive on purpose for the interest of their shareholders and profits.
- The public is at a huge disadvantage since groceries and supermarkets prioritize the big industries, the ones who only think about making money.
- Buy from small businesses and local farmers. Not only will it help the local economy but it also assures you’re buying from a company that focuses on quality instead of maximizing profit.
- Getting into a diet is helpful but you have to know why you’re doing a diet and not just because it’s the latest fad.
- Be mindful of the type of food you eat and align it with the season and situation you have right now.
- Terry herself based her diet on the way her ancestors ate.
- Ketosis is useful but if you can’t do ketosis, focus on a low glycemic index diet.
- Food is information, it’s talking to our genes, cells, and hormones.
- There will be a tsunami of people who think health is mostly about lifestyle and diet in the future.
- You don’t need to be a PhD to know vegetables are healthy and to know sleep is good for you.
- Don’t be dogmatic about your diet. One diet is not the only way to eat. It can make or break your health if you’re not careful. If you do it wrong, your new diet will make your health worse.
- The physician of the future will be the people in the gym, the health coaches, and nutrition coaches helping people sustain a healthy life through lifestyle and dietary changes.
Connect with Terry Wahls:
Mentioned in this episode
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.