Lisa Perkins is a health coach who once suffered from common health issues regarding her weight and had bouts of depression and anxiety. She figured out ways to get the weight off, but she did them in ways she doesn’t consider healthy. It wasn’t until she was in her late 30’s that she decided to finally take a hold of her life and learn about how to be healthy, not just for her sake of it, but also so she can be a good example to her children.
Today, Lisa gives us her thoughts on how we should listen to our body more, what she thinks are necessary when starting a healthy lifestyle, and provide a few tips on some basic health guidelines that most people should not have any trouble following.
“Our body’s talking to us all the time and we literally stopped listening.” Lisa Perkins
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- We have this mindset that makes us follow gurus and attempt to copy their health template word-per-word. What many people don’t know is there is no one-size-fits-all approach to a healthy lifestyle.
- Short-term health strategies yield short-term results.
- We only have one stress bucket and people should be careful not to fill it to the brim.
- We equate diet and exercise with deprivation and pain.
- A ketogenic diet is beneficial but it won’t work as good if you’re always stressed.
- There are so many approaches and a ketogenic diet is just one of the tools in the toolbox. A keto diet requires lots of tracking and monitoring.
- Lisa says a good way to start a healthy diet is by eating 30-40g high quality protein each meal, fill at least half the plate with organic, non-starchy vegetables, and 2 tbsp. of natural fat. The goal is to reduce and totally eliminate packaged or processed food.
- We need to build self-awareness; we need to rebuild relationships with ourselves.
- When it comes to embarking on a health journey, acceptance, curiosity, and patience is necessary.
- We have an evolutionary mismatch on how we were designed to live as humans and what society tells us all the time.
Connect with Lisa Perkins:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.