Dr. John Berardi is one of Precision Nutrition’s health practitioners whose goal in life is to ensure any person, regardless of social or cultural background, have access to an opportunity to be healthy and fit. He has helped Precision Nutrition coach over 70,000 people – most of them are popular athletes and sports teams we’ve all heard of or watched on TV.
In Part 2 of our interview, John puts emphasis on the importance of training an individual to eat well and not just tell them what to eat and what not to eat. He is an advocate of teaching people the tools they need to maintain a healthy lifestyle first over simply giving them a how-to approach.
“The more aggressive you are in the beginning, the more likely you are to fail in the long term.” Dr. John Berardi
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Intermittent fasting, while effective and has lots of benefits, is rarely introduced to new clients. It’s a big shift in lifestyle and new clients have yet to build the right foundation of skills to succeed in this type of diet.
- John says the exercise world is way better at coaching than the nutrition world simply because the exercise world encourages people to learn new exercises slowly and progressively whereas most of the nutrition world is geared to a do this, do that approach to teaching.
- Predetermined protocols are necessary to notice deficiencies or the skills they lack to progress.
- Physiological and skill and experiential differences between people affect the type of diet they can apply to their lives.
- Intermittent fasting is good for experts and long term practitioners but lifestyle conditions change and it can degrade their health.
- The very things you had success with in the beginning of your radical weight loss experience are the things that set you up for failure after that.
- When following a diet program, you have to ask yourself whether the practices you follow right now be able to survive my worst days or worst years of your life. Your health and nutrition needs to be proofed against your worst days and years.
Connect with Dr. John Berardi:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.