Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Don’t forget to add “recover” in there! Take care of tired muscles with these must-haves for running recovery from NOW®.
Are you passionate about running? Do you look forward to lacing up those shoes every day and hitting the pavement, logging miles and training for races? Are you on day 76 of a run streak, euphoric at the thought of running again tomorrow? This post is for you. But… it may not be what you want to hear.
RECOVERY. That’s right, folks, we’re telling you how important it is to recover when you are a runner. It’s not the most glamorous part of running, and it certainly doesn’t impress your friends when you tell them you had a “recovery day” instead of a “12 miler.” But it’s necessary for all runners of any level – and with a few select foods and products from NOW, we can help maximize the recovery process so that you can continue that run streak like a boss.
To put things in perspective, recovery is every moment in between your daily running routine. As soon as you complete your run, recovery begins. Every second counts towards repairing and relieving your muscles of soreness and fatigue, so it’s important to stretch and hydrate during this time! Eat solid, nutritionally sound meals and take the time to relax. You’ve earned it! And you can aid in this routine of stretching, hydration and relaxation with a few must-haves from NOW. Enter below and you could win all of the products mentioned in this post!
Best Products For Running Recovery
- Rolled Oats: Every runner loves their carbs, and the long-lasting energy from these rolled oats makes it an ideal choice for runners. According to a study done by Penn State, runners who ate a big bowl of oats in the morning were able to exercise longer! [Metabolism. 2001 Jul;50(7):849-55.] Whip up a batch of these awesome Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies to keep on hand for a portable breakfast and snack.
- Green Kick™ Tea: Antioxidants are a runner’s best friend. The high level of free radical scavengers in green tea may support a balanced immune system response to aid in muscle recovery.
- Quinoa Penne Pasta: Why choose between quinoa and pasta when you can have both?! Whole grain quinoa provides protein combined with carbs to feed your muscles and give you long-lasting energy. How does this Sundried Tomato Herbed Pasta sound for dinner?
- Dried Tropical Fruit Dices: These sweet, tasty morsels of dried fruit will power you through that next run! While the slow-digesting carbs from oatmeal and quinoa keep you going, fast-digesting sugars from fruit get you started.
SUPPLEMENTS & ADDITIONAL SUPPORT
- Joint Support Powder: Running can take a toll on those knees and ankles, so give them some love. Beef Gelatin, Glucosamine Sulfate and MSM combine to support the formation and function of healthy joint tissue. *
- Iron: Almost 56% of runners are iron-deficient. Don’t be one of them! Iron is necessary for energy production, immune system function, and neurological health.*
- NOW® Sports Recovery Factors with IGF – This dietary supplement is a special blend of nutrients known to support the healthy repair and growth functions of the immune and gastrointestinal systems.* This can be especially important for athletes, because intense exercise can temporarily stress the immune system and GI barrier integrity.*
- NOW® Solutions Joint Support Cream – Formulated for use on the skin surrounding active joints and muscles, this cream contains Glucosamine, a compound normally found in the articular cartilage of joints, as well as Boswellia, Capsacin, and natural Methyl Salicylate. These three active ingredients are combined for their skin care properties and for conditioning the areas around joints and muscles. It is a must for runners!