Today, our host Kevin Cottrell talks with magnesium expert Morley Robbins – aka The Magnesium Man – to demystify the confusion and misconceptions on how important magnesium is for our bodies to function properly. Morley formerly worked as a hospital executive and consultant for over 32 years and currently works as a certified health coach. He has helped over 7,000 people on a one-on-one basis.
Morley explains how magnesium and vitamin D work in conjunction at the cellular level to maintain our heart, brain, gastrointestinal functions as well as other important areas of our body. He explains how this mineral works in our bodies and what can happen when we are not getting enough of either magnesium or vitamin D – as well as provides actionable tips on how you can check your magnesium and vitamin D levels and ways you can improve these levels to prevent various chronic health problems.
“Most people regard minerals as ‘hood ornaments’ instead of ‘keys to start the engine’.” – Morley Robbins
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How does magnesium affect the heart, brain, and gastrointestinal functions?
- 45% of your metabolic function is attributed to magnesium.
- How stress affects your magnesium levels.
- Why a physically fit, seemingly healthy person can still experience magnesium and mineral deficiency issues.
- The importance of vitamin D, sunlight, and how it relates to magnesium.
- Morley’s advice for people with vitamin D deficiencies.
- Ways to increase vitamin D naturally while balancing your circadian rhythm.
- How stress leads to fibrosis.
- Why you need a magnesium RBC test instead of a serum test.
- The differences between lab magnesium ranges and healthy magnesium ranges.
- What to do if your magnesium RBC test is out of range.
- Common stress-inducing factors.
Early Signs of Low Magnesium:
- Regular headaches
- Acid reflux
- Cramping in your feet and hands
Diseases related to low magnesium:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Lu Gehrig’s Disease
- Huntingdon’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Heart Disease
- Liver and Digestive Disorders
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Be mindful of the fact that as you go through your day, and the stressfulness of your day, your body is going through a magnesium burn rate.
- Be vigilant of the price tag you are paying for that stress.
- Get a vitamin D test.
Connect with Morley:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.
Remember our disclaimer: The materials and content discussed within this podcast are the opinions of Kevin Cottrell, Kelly Olexa and/or the guests interviewed. This information is intended as general information only for listeners of the podcast. Listeners should always seek professional advice, and the content and opinions expressed on the podcast should never be considered a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.