We know that stress is not good for us. And we know we shouldn’t do it. Nevertheless, 44 percent of Americans say that their stress levels have increased over the past five years. While some of the effects are obvious – headaches, anxiety, sleeplessness – others are not so obvious. The physical side effects of stress on your body might surprise you.
- Stress Can Cause Belly Fat
Studies show that there is a link between uncontrolled stress and abdominal fat – so if you’re having a hard time losing weight, you might want to think about more than just the physical. High stress levels lead to higher levels of cortisol (the stress hormone). Higher levels of cortisol make your body reluctant to lose weight. And since the abdomen has more cortisol receptors, that’s where the body wants to store fat.
- Stress Can Increase Your Risk of Cold & Flu
Remember that cortisol we were talking about? Over time, cortisol can compromise your immune system. You become more prone to infection, because white blood cells (the flu-fighters of the body) decide to move to different places in the body. To make matters worse, your recovery time is likely to take longer when you’re stressed out.
- Stress May Lead to Developing Type 2 Diabetes
We all know that stress can mess with our eating (just pass the Oreos and no one gets hurt!). On top of that, when the body starts pumping out cortisol, the liver begins to produce more glucose to give you energy and prepare you for whatever you need to do in that stressful situation. However, when constantly stressed, glucose continues to be pumped into the bloodstream and then into cells, where is stored as fat when not used to fuel movement. Unfortunately, when this goes on over an extended period of time, insulin resistance can develop and blood glucose levels become dangerously high and Type 2 Diabetes can arise.
Our Favorite Stress-Less Products
We all need to stress less. Whether it’s work, school, finances or family, there are plenty of stressful situations we find ourselves in. That’s why it’s important to have some “ME” time every day – even if just 15 minutes – to relax and unwind. Here are some products we love from NOW that can help you do that:
- NOW® Solutions Ultrasonic Faux Wooden Oil Diffuser: Forget the synthetic sprays and scented candles- this sleek diffuser will not only add some style to your home or office, but creates a wonderfully peaceful environment. Load it up with water and your favorite essential oils to create an ultra-fine aromatherapy mist that will relax you almost instantly.
- NOW® Solutions Certified Organic Lavender Oil: Lavender is a go-to for its soothing and balancing effects. This organic lavender oil is steam-distilled from fresh, organic lavender plants. Mix it with chamomile and peppermint oils for a blend that will immediately put you at ease.
- NOW® Solutions Peaceful Sleep Oil Blend: Rest easy with this blend containing Orange Oil, Tangerine Oil, Lavender Oil, Chamomile Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, and Sandalwood Oil. This makes us want to get some shut-eye right now!
- NOW® Solutions Peace & Harmony Oil Blend: Peace and harmony? Yeah, we want some of that. Use this blend in your Faux Wooden Diffuser to experience the calming effects of Peppermint Oil, Patchouli Oil, Orange Oil, Lavender Oil, and Basil Oil.
- NOW® Solutions Refreshing Vanilla Citrus Massage Oil: Schedule a date with this Vanilla Citrus Massage Oil and experience the ultimate in relaxation. The aromatherapy benefits of vanilla aid in reducing stress and providing relaxation while your skin is nourished with a wide array of natural nutrients to comfort the body and mind.