You may be familiar with coconut oil— a healthy staple of paleo diets that takes the place of olive oil or vegetable oil in recipes, as it is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), good-for-you fats readily used for energy. While coconut oil is simply the oil pressed from coconut, coconut butter is the whole meat of the coconut, pureed into a thick and creamy butter. It retains the health benefitting MCTs and adds fiber plus small amounts of potassium, magnesium, and iron. Coconut butter can help with digestion and is a healthy way to satisfy cravings for sweets!
Pure coconut butter can be stored at room temperature; at cool temps it will become a solid. It can be warmed by placing the jar in hot water to make spreadable, or gently heated to become pourable.
Here are just some of the ways you can incorporate coconut butter into your diet:
- spread on toast like honey, or over pancakes and waffles
- to cook veggies or eggs
- added into smoothies or protein bars for extra energy
- as a rich dairy free coffee creamer
- as a topping for butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- added to oatmeal or hot cereal
- to cook shrimp or scallops, or on salmon
- as a butter substitute in baking
- drizzled over ice cream or fresh fruit— allow to cool for a bit of crunch
- straight from the jar, on a spoon as a quick treat. Yum!
In addition, you can use coconut butter as a decadent addition to your beauty routine. Mix with sea salt or brown sugar as a scrub; drop in a touch of your favorite essential oil or use as-is as a lotion or lip balm; easily melt away stubborn eye makeup; add to the ends of your hair to tame split ends and staticky flyaways.
Essentially Coconut crafts coconut butter in small batches with nothing extra, unnecessary, or artificial. Sometimes they like to throw in a handful of nuts: in addition to pure coconut butter, they offer varieties in Sweet Almond, Creamy Cashew, and Honey Pecan. It’s like a vacation in a jar! Enter via the Rafflecopter widget below for your chance to win an Essentially Coconut variety pack: two 12oz jars + two 4oz jars. US only, please.
What are your favorite ways to use coconut butter?