It’s 3PM. You’re tired, maybe cranky. It’s all too easy to reach for those sugary sweets and salty snacks. But don’t be surprised if you end up hungry and tired again an hour later.
Not to mention, consuming these foods regularly can wreak havoc on your health and fitness goals. You don’t have to give up a cupcake for a special occasion or some chips & salsa during a big football game. But when it comes to everyday snacking, there’s a few things to keep in mind.
Protein for quality energy, fiber to keep you full until the next meal, and low calories because this is a snack not a meal! Whether you crave salty or sweet, here are some simple healthy snacks to get you through those mid-morning hunger pains or afternoon energy slumps.
- one serving (usually 11 chips) of whole grain pita chips + Greek yogurt dip (just add salt, spices & lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup dry roasted edamame
- mini pizza (1/2 whole grain english muffin + sliced tomato, turkey pepperoni & 2T mozzarella)
- turkey jerky + whole grain crackers
- 2 cups air popped popcorn + string cheese
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter + apple
- smoothie: 1 scoop protein + 1/2 frozen banana
- DIY cheesecake bars
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1/2 cup berries
- greek yogurt popsicles (greek yogurt + fruit. Simply fill cups or pop molds & freeze)
These are just a few of my favorites. I’m sure you could come up with many more! Just remember the 3 tips to a good snack:
Protein. Fiber. < 200 calories.
What are your favorite combos?