In 2015, we’ve partnered with Kohl’s for the #MakeYourMove campaign. We want to know how you plan to #MakeYourMove toward a healthier you.
How did you sleep last night? The National Sleep Foundation Scientific Advisory Council’s sleep guidelines for adults remain unchanged: you should be getting 7-9 hours of shuteye each night. Not getting enough sleep has been linked to many diseases like hypertension, diabetes, depression, obesity and cancer; being sleep deprived affects productivity, mood, focus and reaction time (important when you’re behind the wheel of a car).
Plus, when we’re overtired we make poor food choices, produce more cortisol and burn out more quickly while working out, making it more difficult to lose weight.
Since we should be spending about a third of our lives in bed sleeping, sleep should be considered just as important to our fitness and health regimen as nutrition and exercise. It’s important to invest some time and money into creating a sound sleep environment and developing good sleep habits, just as you would in healthy food or a gym membership. Remember, quality of sleep needs to be prioritized as well as quantity. Here are some tips to help you create a calming bedroom so you can better fall— and stay— asleep.
1. Prep your body for sleep with a soothing bedtime ritual, like taking a warm shower and reading a book for a few minutes with a candle lit. This Be Tranquil SONOMA life + style jar candle has a citrus aroma and notes of sea minerals to evoke the calming scent of the surf.
2. Reserving your bed for sleeping time only can help signal your brain that it’s time for rest when you slip under the covers. Reserving supremely comfortable clothing for sleep can achieve the same purpose. These Chaps pajamas are super soft for peaceful slumber.
3. Try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning, even on weekends; your body craves routine. The pureguardian Ultrasonic Aroma Spa Diffuser & Alarm Clock reinforces that routine by filling the air with the scent of slumber; its ultrasonic technology fills the air with oil fragrance to help you stay asleep.
4. How many times has your sleep been interrupted by a crick in your neck or the need to flip your pillow to the cool side? The Hydraluxe cooling gel surface on this Sealy Posturepedic bed pillow helps you stay cool and comfortable, while the supportive memory foam fill cradles your head & neck so you can sleep more soundly.
5. Those who exercise daily tend to sleep better. You may have heard that you shouldn’t exercise too close to bedtime, but that’s not true for everyone. In particular, a yoga routine can help you relieve the mental stress and physical tensions of the day. Rodney Yee’s P.M. Yoga is gentle and suitable for beginners; it comes packaged with A.M. yoga to energize your mornings.
6. Total darkness is ideal for letting your body know it’s bedtime. Block out unwanted outdoor light with blackout window panels from eclipse; their thermaweave technology also helps block distracting noise and cold.
7. Is there anything better than clean, comfortable bedding? When you snuggle under this luxuriously sleek Vivian comforter from Madison Park, there’s no place you’d rather be.
What are your best tips for better sleep?