Sponsored by H. H. Gregg
No need to dread the treadmill! Treadmill workouts let you get your run/walk on safely, while allowing you to avoid icy conditions, dark roads and sketchy neighborhoods.
Most of my weekday runs are on the treadmill. Summer or Winter. Kids and work and traveling husband.
I am not the post office. I will not run in rain, sleet, snow, or hail haha.
I have several clients with seasonal allergies; they can’t run outside and the TM is their saviour!
Paces me so I don’t have to 😉
One plus of a treadmill is your HR is right in front of you (no constantly checking your wrist!)
H.H.Gregg has everything you need to get in shape in 2013, with a selection of elliptical trainers, exercise bikes, heart rate monitors and yes, treadmills, along with many other fitness accessories. They carry the latest technology from top brands in their online store and at their 220+ locations across the US, and each store boasts smarter associates offering great customer service; convenient delivery; experienced technicians for carry-in or in-home service; awesome rewards and a price-match guarantee.
We recently chatted with @hhgregg about the best treadmill workouts: check out these crowdsourced tips and workouts to maximize effort and minimize boredom.
25 Treadmill Tips:
- Quick tip – Run the treadmill, don’t let it run you. Don’t focus on running fast, but running correctly, safely & efficiently
- Wear the right sneakers 1st & foremost. Concentrate on running form over speed. Focus on cardio improvement over calorie burn.
- Keep the treadmill at a slight incline to better simulate an outdoor run.
- Interval training definitely! Was the best way to workout and best way to ease myself into long distances
- Always love incline walking on the treadmill. Suitable 4 all types of people no matter where they r in their fitness journey!
- Try these tips! http://fitknitchick.com/2012/12/03/5-tips-for-making-cardio-machines-more-fun/
- I’ve been trying to get my pre-injury speed so I warm up and then increase the speed every .25 miles. It helps kill time too!
- Running on a treadmill is a great way for a #beginner #runner to learn how to pace. Don’t start out too strong.
- When getting back in the groove, I do intervals at high incline- topping out at a 15 on a 3.8-4.0 speed
- I cover up the numbers panel; watching it makes time stand still…
- Don’t slouch. Swing arms naturally front to back vs. crossover which can throw some people off.
- The woman at my gym who does walking lunges on the treadmill is my hero.
- There are many ways to use it: HIIT, intervals, Hill walking or jogging, side step, backward walk… lots of ways to mix up
- HIIT workouts! Race the guy next to you!
- I push the buttons A LOT to keep it fun!
- If you cant keep form, you need to take it down a notch.
- Alternate incline walking at low then high, then medium then high– then switch to flat and do run/walk/run/walk.
- Practice road form and master it. Don’t shorten or lengthen stride.
- Have you added dumbbells to your treadmill workout to make it more interesting?
- I get the most by reserving certain type of training for the treadmill. Hello tempo runs!
- I also do pyramid runs
- Whatever you do, each time you get on, do something different. Go one minute longer or one incline level higher or add a RUN
- I LOVE HIIT Training on the treadmill. Plus it’s easy to control & monitor progress with speed and time.
- Walking planks, mountain climbers, sideways hand shuffle, spiderman crawl – ALL on the treadmill!
- PUSH yourself. it’s you vs. the machine. you get out what you put in..just like any other workout
If you know anyone who hangs on the TM w/bad form:
- Break it up into intervals and do squats/lunges etc in between: Quarter Mile Workout
- Upper Body on a Treadmill? That whacky @stevepfiester will convince you: Killer Upper Body Treadmill Workout
- Add ab work- Fast 4 and core is one of my favs- 4 min of running, then abs
- Change the incline like this Tush Tamer workout
- You could also try a HIIT workout … pushes you hard + kills the time: 20 Minute Treadmill HIIT
- Top 5 boredom busting #treadmill workouts
- Here’s a walking treadmill workout that adds intervals! 30-60-90 Walking Incline Workout
- One of my fav treadmill workouts is this giant hill workout. Gets hill training in while indoors!
- We were asked what to do on treadmill if it has no incline. Options: Treadmill Walking Workout
- I love this as a push it treadmill workout
- 7 Treadmill Workouts because I can’t stand the dread mill these days
- Here is yet another treadmill workout by @stevepfiester: Hotel Fitness. Fitting in Fitness On the Road.
- 5/5 Treadmill Intervals
- Treadmill HIIT
- 30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout
- Triple Threat Workout- Running, Tabatas & Planks
- Winter treadmill workouts (Runner’s World)
- 30 Minute Treadmill Workout
Our favorite treadmill workout involves a turkey!
What are YOUR best treadmill tips and workouts?
Share in the comments!