An easy to follow, (no fasting allowed) plan for attaining a fabulous body,
inside and out.
WHAT IS THE FIT VEGAN CHALLENGE?
- Make one meal each day a healthy, vegan one.
- Incorporate the “calorie burner of the week” into your fitness regime.
A few benefits of plant-based foods:
- Speed Weight Loss
“A plant-based diet revs your metabolism, causing you to burn calories up to 16% faster that you would on a non plant-based diet for at least the first 3 hours after meals.” – New York Times Bestselling author, Kathy Freston
- Boost Energy & Brighten Complexion
The wide array of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients in plants provide an array of benefits including overall increased energy and the repairing and protecting of cells to reveal glowing, clear skin. – USDA
- Contribute to a Lifetime of Optimum Health
Those who eat generous amounts of plant-based foods are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke. cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. – USDA (choosemyplate.gov)
Vegan Meal of the Week:
Make lunch or dinner a DELICIOUS, healthy vegan meal (unrefined grains, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit, non GMO tofu, tempeh). No meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Each week I’ll provide one vegan meal option and one substitution or healthy addition to incorporate into your daily menu to help you feel satisfied and never deprived.
Winter is the perfect season to curl up on the coach and enjoy a steaming hot bowl of soup. Today’s recipe comes from chef Katherine Miller via Kathy Freston’s Daily Lean.
- 1 cup red lentils – checked for stones and washed
- 1 cup onions – diced
- 4 cups squash – peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2-3 tsp red curry paste
- 2-3 tsp salt
- cilantro sprigs
- Place the lentils in a heavy bottomed soup pot, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Turn down to a simmer and if necessary add just enough water to keep them from sticking
- While the lentils are cooking prepare the vegetables and add them to the pot
- Cover and let them simmer for 30 minutes or until the veggies and the lentils are soft
- Add the coconut milk, 2 tsp curry paste and 2 tsp salt
- Puree in batches in a blender until satiny smooth, adding water to get the right consistency
- Adjust seasonings adding more salt and curry paste as needed
- Serve in bowls garnished with fresh cilantro
Substitution of the Week:
Swap out a salty (not fabulous for a sexy body) snack like cheese and crackers with a sweet apple and raw almond butter. Apples are high in soluble fiber, which slows the absorption of carbohydrates (keeping blood sugar levels from spiking). They are also packed with vitamins and minerals. Almond butter is a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, which helps to limit excessive snacking in between meals.
Calorie Burner of the Week:
Single Leg Squat to T-Raise
- Stand on your right leg with the band directly under your foot. Grasp the handles of the band, palms facing in. Bend your left knee, shift hips back, and lower down until your left thigh is parallel with the floor.
- Drive through the entire foot to come all the way back to standing. Raise your arms up to shoulder height, keeping a slight bend in your elbows and palms facing down. Lower your arms and repeat.
- Do 15 reps on that side; then switch legs and repeat.
Green Reason of the Week:
Motivation of the Week:
Nora Tobin grew up in the High Sierra’s on Lake Tahoe, where she spent most of her childhood outdoors- hiking, snowboarding, skiing, wakeboarding, rock climbing, and white water rafting. Nora is a GNC Brand Ambassador and a weekly contributor to SHAPE. She is a NASM certified personal trainer and currently working towards certification as a Fitness Nutrition Specialist.
Nora is the creator of a unique fitness program that incorporates yoga, weight training, stand up paddle, beach boot camps, hiking, running, sports specific training, as well as nutrition information and meal plans, for ages ranging from 5 to 70. She is writing a fitness book currently slated for publication that will serve as a manual for a knockout body, peaceful mind, and better planet. Nora has competed on the AVP, CBVA, Corona Wide Open, and GAV beach volleyball tours.