An easy to follow, (no fasting allowed) plan for attaining a fabulous body,
inside and out.
WHAT IS THE FIT VEGAN CHALLENGE?
- Make one meal each day a healthy, vegan one.
- Incorporate the “calorie burner of the week” into your fitness regime.
A few benefits of plant-based foods:
- Speed Weight Loss
“A plant-based diet revs your metabolism, causing you to burn calories up to 16% faster that you would on a non plant-based diet for at least the first 3 hours after meals.” – New York Times Bestselling author, Kathy Freston
- Boost Energy & Brighten Complexion
The wide array of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients in plants provide an array of benefits including overall increased energy and the repairing and protecting of cells to reveal glowing, clear skin. – USDA
- Contribute to a Lifetime of Optimum Health
Those who eat generous amounts of plant-based foods are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke. cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. – USDA (choosemyplate.gov)
Vegan Meal of the Week:
Make lunch or dinner a DELICIOUS, healthy vegan meal (unrefined grains, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit, non GMO tofu, tempeh). No meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Each week I’ll provide one vegan meal option and one substitution or healthy addition to incorporate into your daily menu to help you feel satisfied and never deprived.
My new favorite site for vegan recipes is ohsheglows.com! It’s filled with yummy dishes that are not difficult to make. This recipe is perfect for winter nights.
Smoky BBQ Chili
Yield: 5 cups
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 cup dry/uncooked black eyed peas
- 3/4 cup dry/uncooked black beans
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, to thicken
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (or ground flax), to thicken
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp your fav BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- couple handfuls of chopped spinach, or other greens like collard, kale, etc
Substitution of the Week:
Switch up your protein with a plant-based source. Black beans, brown rice and avocado are an excellent alternative to meat. This substitution swaps out the saturated fat and cholesterol with antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals.
Calorie Burner of the Week:
Lifting your leg engages the lowest part of your abdominal muscles (the rectus abdominis), while reaching to the outside of the opposite leg engages the internal obliques.
V Sit Ups
- Lie face up with your hands by your side, palms down. Lift your left leg off the ground (keeping it straight) as you engage your core and raise your upper body, reaching your right hand to the outside of your left leg.
- Lower all the way back to the floor and repeat on the other side, lifting your right leg off the ground and reaching your left hand to the outside of your right leg.
- Continue alternating legs for 30 seconds.
Green Reason of the Week:
“Overfishing not only depletes the fish that are desirable to consumers but causes serious consequences for the marine environment. The natural ocean ecosystem is disrupted; ultimately threatening many non-fished marine species as their natural food supply is removed.”
Motivation of the Week:
Nora Tobin grew up in the High Sierra’s on Lake Tahoe, where she spent most of her childhood outdoors- hiking, snowboarding, skiing, wakeboarding, rock climbing, and white water rafting. Nora is a GNC Brand Ambassador and a weekly contributor to SHAPE. She is a NASM certified personal trainer and currently working towards certification as a Fitness Nutrition Specialist.
Nora is the creator of a unique fitness program that incorporates yoga, weight training, stand up paddle, beach boot camps, hiking, running, sports specific training, as well as nutrition information and meal plans, for ages ranging from 5 to 70. She is writing a fitness book currently slated for publication that will serve as a manual for a knockout body, peaceful mind, and better planet. Nora has competed on the AVP, CBVA, Corona Wide Open, and GAV beach volleyball tours.