An easy to follow, (no fasting allowed) plan for attaining a fabulous body,
inside and out.
WHAT IS THE FIT VEGAN CHALLENGE?
- Make one meal each day a healthy, vegan one.
- Incorporate the “calorie burner of the week” into your fitness regime.
A few benefits of plant-based foods:
- Speed Weight Loss
“A plant-based diet revs your metabolism, causing you to burn calories up to 16% faster that you would on a non plant-based diet for at least the first 3 hours after meals.” – New York Times Bestselling author, Kathy Freston
- Boost Energy & Brighten Complexion
The wide array of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients in plants provide an array of benefits including overall increased energy and the repairing and protecting of cells to reveal glowing, clear skin. – USDA
- Contribute to a Lifetime of Optimum Health
Those who eat generous amounts of plant-based foods are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke. cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. – USDA (choosemyplate.gov)
Vegan Meal of the Week:
Make lunch or dinner a DELICIOUS, healthy vegan meal (unrefined grains, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit, non GMO tofu, tempeh). No meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Each week I’ll provide one vegan meal option and one substitution or healthy addition to incorporate into your daily menu to help you feel satisfied and never deprived.
Today’s recipe and instructions comes directly from vegan chef Chef Chloe. Enjoy Chef Chloe’s delicious (healthy) pizza. It’s the perfect fall dish!
Substitution of the Week:
Swap the simple white carbs with a nutrient dense sweet potato. This powerhouse vegetable not only taste delicious but is packed with fiber, vitamin b6, potassium, manganese, and important antioxidants. It’s also a low calorie food!
Calorie Burner of the Week:
Kettlebell exercises combine cardio and strength training to tighten up your trouble zones in no time. No kettlebell? You can use a dumbbell instead.
How to do it:
- Hold a kettlebell (or dumbbell) with both hands and stand with your feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent. Bend at your hips and lower your torso until it forms a 45-degree angle to the floor, keeping lower back naturally arched.
- Swing the kettlebell between your legs. Keeping your arms straight, thrust your hips forward, straighten your knees, and swing the kettlebell up to belly-button/chest level.
- Continue swinging until you’ve completed 10 reps with a challenging weight (17 to 26lb kettlebell depending on your fitness level).
Green Reason of the Week:
According to Dr. David Brubaker, PhD, at Johns Hopkins University’s Center for a Livable Future, “The way that we breed animals for food is a threat to the planet. It pollutes our environment while consuming huge amounts of water, grain, petroleum, pesticides and drugs. The results are disastrous.”
Motivation of the Week:
“Identify your problems but give your power and energy to solutions.”
Nora is a GNC Brand Ambassador and a weekly contributor to SHAPE. She is a NASM certified personal trainer and currently working towards certification as a Fitness Nutrition Specialist.
Nora is the creator of a unique fitness program that incorporates yoga, weight training, stand up paddle, beach boot camps, hiking, running, sports specific training, as well as nutrition information and meal plans, for ages ranging from 5 to 70. She is writing a fitness book currently slated for publication that will serve as a manual for a knockout body, peaceful mind, and better planet. Nora has competed on the AVP, CBVA, Corona Wide Open, and GAV beach volleyball tours.