An easy to follow, (no fasting allowed) plan for attaining a fabulous body,
inside and out.
WHAT IS THE FIT VEGAN CHALLENGE?
- Make one meal each day a healthy, vegan one.
- Incorporate the “calorie burner of the week” into your fitness regime.
A few benefits of plant-based foods:
- Speed Weight Loss
“A plant-based diet revs your metabolism, causing you to burn calories up to 16% faster that you would on a non plant-based diet for at least the first 3 hours after meals.” – New York Times Bestselling author, Kathy Freston
- Boost Energy & Brighten Complexion
The wide array of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients in plants provide an array of benefits including overall increased energy and the repairing and protecting of cells to reveal glowing, clear skin. – USDA
- Contribute to a Lifetime of Optimum Health
Those who eat generous amounts of plant-based foods are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke. cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. – USDA (choosemyplate.gov)
Vegan Meal of the Week:
Make lunch or dinner a DELICIOUS, healthy vegan meal (unrefined grains, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit, non GMO tofu, tempeh). No meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Each week I’ll provide one vegan meal option and one substitution or healthy addition to incorporate into your daily menu to help you feel satisfied and never deprived.
It’s apple season and time to take advantage of the crispy juicy fruits this beautiful time of year provides. Try this simple and delicious recipe for Apple Slaw!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon or other good-quality mustard, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups cored and shredded red cabbage (about 8 ounces)
- 2 medium Granny Smith or other tart, crisp apples, cored and shredded or grated
- 8 radishes, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped or grated
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
For preparation instructions, find the full recipe on the New York Times Well Blog.
Substitution of the Week:
Instead of baking with eggs, try one of these healthier options—
1/4 c smashed bananas = 1 egg
¼ c apple sauce = 1 egg
¼ c silken tofu = 1 egg
Calorie Burner of the Week:
Lifting your leg engages the lowest part of your abdominal muscles (the rectus abdominis), while reaching to the outside of the opposite leg engages the internal obliques.
How to do it:
- Lie face up with your hands by your side, palms down. Lift your left leg off the ground (keeping it straight) as you engage your core and raise your upper body, reaching your right hand to the outside of your left leg.
- Lower all the way back to the floor and repeat on the other side, lifting your right leg off the ground and reaching your left hand to the outside of your right leg.
- Continue alternating legs for 30 seconds. Do 3-5 rounds.
Green Reason of the Week:
The meat industry is a major cause of fresh water depletion. According to Ed Ayres, of the World Watch Institute, “Around the world, as more water is diverted to raising pigs and chickens instead of producing crops for direct consumption, millions of wells are going dry. India, China, North Africa and the U.S. are all running freshwater deficits, pumping more from their aquifers than rain can replenish.”
Motivation of the Week:
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”
- Harriet Tubman
Nora is a GNC Brand Ambassador and a weekly contributor to SHAPE. She is a NASM certified personal trainer and currently working towards certification as a Fitness Nutrition Specialist.
Nora is the creator of a unique fitness program that incorporates yoga, weight training, stand up paddle, beach boot camps, hiking, running, sports specific training, as well as nutrition information and meal plans, for ages ranging from 5 to 70. She is writing a fitness book currently slated for publication that will serve as a manual for a knockout body, peaceful mind, and better planet. Nora has competed on the AVP, CBVA, Corona Wide Open, and GAV beach volleyball tours.