An easy to follow, (no fasting allowed) plan for attaining a fabulous body,
inside and out.
WHAT IS THE FIT VEGAN CHALLENGE?
- Make one meal each day a healthy, vegan one.
- Incorporate the “calorie burner of the week” into your fitness regime.
A few benefits of plant-based foods:
- Speed Weight Loss
“A plant-based diet revs your metabolism, causing you to burn calories up to 16% faster that you would on a non plant-based diet for at least the first 3 hours after meals.” – New York Times Bestselling author, Kathy Freston
- Boost Energy & Brighten Complexion
The wide array of antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients in plants provide an array of benefits including overall increased energy and the repairing and protecting of cells to reveal glowing, clear skin. – USDA
- Contribute to a Lifetime of Optimum Health
Those who eat generous amounts of plant-based foods are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke. cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. – USDA (choosemyplate.gov)
Vegan Meal of the Week:
Make lunch or dinner a DELICIOUS, healthy vegan meal (unrefined grains, beans, legumes, veggies, fruit, non GMO tofu, tempeh). No meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. Each week I’ll provide one vegan meal option and one substitution or healthy addition to incorporate into your daily menu to help you feel satisfied and never deprived.
This week you have earned a guilt free treat…
Recipe: Breakfast Cookies
Preheat: oven to 350 degrees
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pure agave nectar
- 1/2 cup slivers of dark chocolate from an 85% chocolate bar
- Dash of cinnamon
Bake: 15 minutes
Substitution of the Week:
Swap out a plate of crackers and cheese for a bowl of hot edamame beans sprinkled with sea salt. This substitution will work wonders for weight loss. Since edamame is packed with fiber and protein (17 grams in ½ cup), you will fill up and feel satisfied without adding unwanted pounds.
Calorie Burner of the Week:
High-intensity interval training (like these sprints) can help your body burn more fat in the 24 hours after your workout than you would after steady-state cardio.
How to do it:
- Start in a lunge position with your back at a 45-degree angle, weight shifted forward. Drive through your big toe to take bounding steps forward.
- After about 10 yards, shift your hips back to quickly reverse the movement. Back pedal to the starting position (10 yards), keeping your chest up the entire time.
- Quickly shift your hips forward to repeat the forward movement again. That’s one rep. Do 10 reps of sprint, back- pedal, sprint total.
Green Reason of the Week:
“Eating meat is one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.”
-UN agricultural scientists
Motivation of the Week:
“The Future depends on what we do in the present.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
Nora is a GNC Brand Ambassador and a weekly contributor to SHAPE. She is a NASM certified personal trainer and currently working towards certification as a Fitness Nutrition Specialist.
Nora is the creator of a unique fitness program that incorporates yoga, weight training, stand up paddle, beach boot camps, hiking, running, sports specific training, as well as nutrition information and meal plans, for ages ranging from 5 to 70. She is writing a fitness book currently slated for publication that will serve as a manual for a knockout body, peaceful mind, and better planet. Nora has competed on the AVP, CBVA, Corona Wide Open, and GAV beach volleyball tours.